Local SEO Checklist: Your Ticket into the Snack Pack
Do you know?
Out of all the searches performed on Google, local search queries dominate nearly 46% of the searches.
When you search anything on Google, it shows the result of the businesses that are near to you.
With the upgraded search feature, you don’t need to type “near me” suffix in the search bar. Google will automatically list out the businesses near you.
How does this happen?
It’s because these businesses are working on their Local SEO.
Have you ever heard about Local SEO?
Let’s know about Local SEO first, and then we will walk you through the Local SEO Checklist that will help you to dominate the local search queries.
What is Local Search Engine Optimization?
Local SEO is an effective way of making a strong online presence of your business. It helps the small business owners to promote their products or services to the local customers.
When you search for “great coffee” in the search bar, you will get the result as shown in the image below.
The websites mentioned below Google Maps is the 3pack in SEO terms. With right optimization, you can get your business into the Snack pack.
Local SEO Checklist: Get Your Business into the Google Snack Pack
By now you have clearly understood the importance of Local SEO for your business. But, how to optimize your website for the local search queries.
The Local SEO Checklist list answers to your queries. Keep reading and get your answers.
1. Make your website Mobile-friendly
Google prefer mobile-friendly websites. For Local SEO of your business, make your website is mobile-friendly.
- You can use tools like Google Checker to check your website’s mobile-friendliness.
- Use mobile-responsive themes.
2. Optimize Title, Description, and URLs
The title, description, and URLs are very crucial for local SEO.
The title should inform what your page will display when the user searches your keyword.
- Write unique titles for your website pages and include local keywords for that page.
- Keep the title in between 50-60 characters.
- Write clear Meta descriptions using local keywords.
- Keep the description between 130-165 characters.
- For URL, use SEO-friendly URL structure which includes the indication of the location.
3. Register Your Business on Google My Business
Image Source: Moz
As you can see, Google My Business (GMB) is a very important factor for Local SEO. So, register your business on Google My Business.
Create an account on Google Business, and Google then verifies your address and ownership of the business.
Once verified, your business will show in the local search result pages.
Now, optimize your GMB with some important tips:
- The data like name, address, and category of your business should be complete and accurate.
- Try to respond to all the reviews about your website.
- Add photos of business to GMB page.
4. Make your NAP right
NAP acronyms for the name, address and phone number of your business. All the details like phone number, street name, and fax number should be mentioned clearly on your GMB page.
Update your NAP on home page and landing pages of your website.
One of the biggest issues related to Local SEO is the inconsistency of NAP information.
Image Source: Search Engine Land
So, make sure your NAP information is consistent across all the channels. It means the phone number and address you have mentioned on your website should be the same on your home page, Facebook page, and other pages where your business is listed.
5. Optimize Your Website Content for Local SEO
The website content is very crucial for the local search ranking of your website.
Here’s how to optimize your website content.
- Write unique content for all your pages.
- Write up to 500+ words of local content per page.
- Add internal links to other pages on your website.
- Make use of hyperlocal keywords and reference wherever possible.
- Make your content easy-to-read and informative.
- You can also use customer testimonials on the location pages of your website.
6. Add Google Map in Contact Information page of your website
Adding Google Map in your website is a strong signal of Local SEO of your business.
Here’s how to do this.
- In Google Maps, type your address and select Share and Embed Map.
- Click on the Embed Map tab and copy-paste the code on your website.
7. Use Schema to share more information about your business
If you want to improve the local search engine ranking of your website, then use schema on your website.
Here’s how you can take advantage of it.
- If your business has only one location, then add structured data mark-up on your home page.
- If you have multiple locations, then use schema on each page.
8. Manage online reviews
Reviews are very important for Local SEO of your business. According to the survey conducted by Bright Local, about 97% of consumers read local reviews.
Check below how you can manage your customer reviews.
- List your business on major review platforms such as Google My Business, Angie’s list and social media marketing channels like Facebook and Twitter.
- Respond to all the reviews on your website.
- Thank the customer for positive reviews and apologize for the bad ones.
- In the case of negative reviews, you can also reach out to your customer privately and resolve their issue.
- Include the link of review pages on your website.
Local SEO is vital for every business. Getting it done right with the above Local SEO Checklist will help you to reach more local customers and earning more revenue.
George is corporate relationship manager at Inc Academy – Provide Social Media Marketing Course in Dubai and he likes to share his knowledge on digital marketing topics